Garrett’s law was enacted in 2004. It mandates schools provide parents and guardians with information about meningococcal meningitis and influenza and the vaccines that protect against these diseases. The law was expanded in 2007 to mandate that information also be provided about human papillomavirus (HPV) and the vaccines available to protect against HPV.
The following materials are available to support this effort. Additional materials are available at each of the disease specific pages.
- Meningococcal Disease Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.00 MB)
- Cover Your Cough
- What Parents Need to Know About the Flu (color, b&w) (PDF, 1.14 MB, 974 KB)
- What Schools Need to Know About Preventing the Spread of Flu (color, b&w) (PDF, 636 KB, 574 KB)
- Good Health Manners (English, Spanish) (PDF, 614 KB, 700 KB)
Required Vaccines in N.C.
- School Entry Requirements Guide (PDF, 651 KB)